Wednesday 3 June 2015

Black and white walk

The weekend was cold and rainy. Black and white kind of weekend, no colours outside, all damp and grey.

No sun, no reason to get out of the house.

However, camera in one hand and film in other made me go outside to see if there's anything worth capturing.

Actually, I needed more practice with film developing so I bundled up and stepped outside.

Sprinkles of rain somehow made me think of home, because I know that my friends are experiencing sprinkles of sea right now, sunbathing at some beach, somewhere on the southern part of Croatian coast.

Meanwhile, here in Toronto, I'm doing my best in this Canadian weather. There's a place close to me with a little marina. Kind of a hidden place with no people, perfect for a short walk. Always lots of animals around. No walkers, no bicyclists or runners. Just boats and birds.




Couple of weeks back I've been there, for the same reason, and there was a swan, sitting comfortably in a nest, guarding the eggs.


This weekend, she was still there, at the same spot, with her little offspring. Reminded me of an "Ugly duckling" story. There are more eggs there, maybe next time there's going to be a whole bunch of little cygnets.

Also, lots of ducks and geese. As I was walking, on my left side there were geese with little goslings, nibbling on grass and enjoying the peace which was broken only by the sound of my shutter. 

While I was trying to shoot the goslings (with the camera, just to be clear), I've became aware that there's whole army of other geese on my right side, waddling toward me, making sure the moms and little ones stay protected. Canadian geese are huge, and I was obviously outnumbered, so I picked up my stuff and carried on, leaving them at peace. 


The mean birds are everywhere, and I watched them messing with the swan and fight each other for food. Or for something else, who knows.

Black and white walk, among black and white boats, stepping into puddles and thinking about black and white stuff in life. And how white can become black easily. And the other way around. 

I kind of felt black and white myself. 

It looked like it's going to start raining again (and I finished the film) so I decided to turn around and go back home to my black and white cat. 









No comments:

Post a Comment