Friday 23 October 2015

Soaking up some art

I live and breathe motorcycles.

Garage, noise, dust, exhausts, parts, chrome, filters, rat bikes, shiny bikes, gasoline, paint, tools, tires, chains, oils, powder coating, engines.

In an environment like this, it's easy to forget you have other aspirations too (or that you're a girl, for that matter).

There is some art involved in this motorcycle world, I have to admit (actually, plenty of it). 

But that should be another topic altogether.





My point is, I need a break occasionally, as well as other stuff (not involving motorcycle culture) too. Which is why I'm writing nonsense posts about my cat, hamster or current weather conditions.

I love bikes, but I love apple pies too and I don't eat them every single day. So I find  my escape in photographing and walking around the city, to satisfy my hunger for diversity.






The truth is, I need whatever - as long as it's something else. Preferably, something inspiring.



With that in mind, I was wondering the other day where should I go to change the environment a bit, and it was chilly and windy that day so I didn't actually want to spend the day outside. 

Then I remembered AGO, the Art Gallery of Ontario I haven't yet visited. 
After taking into consideration other alternatives, visiting AGO soon got up on top of my list. 






The moment I walked in I was impressed by the size of it and was eager to explore every corner of the gallery.


Currently, there are some really interesting exhibitions and collections holding, like Camera Atomica and AGO Photography Prize exhibition. 

The architecture inspired me as much as exhibited art pieces, most of all the famous Italian gallery and beautiful curvy designed stairs in the middle of the building.





I was never really a museum person (hello, I'm putting the polar bear with the radio as the main photo of this post), so it surprised me how much I was yearning for it.

One one hand, I mostly wanted to see the gallery from the inside due to beautiful architecture and design, but the exhibitions dragged me into them and it's impossible not to get intrigued by various artists and their pieces on the other hand.

Those foxy ladies were pretty awesome too. I kind of missed what was that all about, but the big, spacious room filled with skins looked cool.

Anyhow, a great afternoon filled with great art. I'm strongly recommending to anyone who's near Toronto to see it for yourself.

There is an upcoming exhibition on American photography and film early next year which would be nice to see if I get the chance.

More on AGO's stuff you can find on their website.



Until then, there are a few other places I still need to discover. More on that soon, I hope. But first, some apple picking.

@sharoncocaine

Instagram









No comments:

Post a Comment