Monday 6 April 2015

Toronto Pet Expo April 2015

If you're an animal lover, what better way there is to spend a cold, snowy Sunday than to visit Toronto Pet Expo? I'm sure there's couple of them crossing your mind right now, BUT, if you're somewhat bored, you should give it a try next time.



The International Center Toronto hosted dogs, cats and various exotic pets this weekend. Overall, it's a nice show. You get to enjoy people's faces when their pet does something cute, or kid's joy when they hold a puppy in their hands.

Lot's of "awwww"s, lots of laugh and generally lots of positive energy.


I did, however, expected a larger show, according to what I've seen on their website. But then again, I visited on last day, Sunday, so maybe I've only seen what's left after the first two days. The visitors were able to bring their own pets, which is nice - there were also lots of organizations there, from animal rescues, different protective organizations to training schools and various educational groups for higher awareness of responsibility and good caring for pets.

I'm a cat person, so as soon as I walked in, I headed in that direction. I was a bit puzzled, as there were maybe 30 cats altogether, shut inside small boxes and cages. You could tell that they were exhausted. I actually felt pretty bad for poor animals - cats were frightened and freaked out because of all the commotion, loud speakers and music. They were obviously uncomfortable and scared, which made me rethink the whole purpose of the show.

Bengal


They shouldn't have been placed in the same hall with the traders, dogs, food stands, stage with the speakers and loud and crazy parrots. The mix of sounds made them insane (we have a convenient word for that in Croatian - "unezvijerene"- ones which are in confusion, without presence of mind; bemused, bewildered, amazed, in a panic).



I did see some spectacular samples of mesmerizing Maine Coon'sRag Dolls and Bengals.

Abyssinian

Rag Doll

Needless to mention, there were some beautiful dogs and puppies, as well as birds, snakes, guinea pigs, hamsters, monkeys, an owl and a kangaroo.

Kangaroo Domesticus
















Yes, a kangaroo.



That was kind of cool. That is, until I learned that the company that provided monkeys and a kangaroo was in the rental business, making money on renting the animals for birthday parties, special events and much more.
A touch of inhumanity, but oh well. Who would't want to have a kangaroo on their birthday bash?





No comments:

Post a Comment